Installing the Electric Motor

The electric motor was the first main component that I installed in the car. I used a Netgain Warp9 DC motor. To connect the motor to the old transmission, I used a custom made adapter plate, using the original clutch and flywheel. After the motor was coupled with the transmission outside of the car, getting it in place in the car was relatively straight-forward. I just slowly worked the 250 lb system into place. The motor mounts were the first things that I constructed, using 1/4" thick angle-aluminum to secure the motor to the original mount. The transmission mounts support the rest of the unit's weight.

The Netgain Warp9 DC motor

This is the adapter plate that allowed me to bolt the old transmission to the new motor

Installing the flywheel in the transmission

Electric motor with the adapter plate attached

Electric motor coupled to the transmission

Placing the motor and transmission into the car
Making a motor mount

Top view of the motor being supported by the mounts

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rob,
    Did you use the clutch or go clutchless? Who made your adapter? Are you pleased with the fit? I've never seen someone bolt the flywheel to the transmission first; usually the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch go on the motor, and then the motor gets bolted to the transmission. Why did you do it the way you did?
    Best,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing a conversion of your own! Sorry for the delayed response, I've been traveling abroad and internet is hard to come across. I'm happy to answer all of your questions though!

      I used the original clutch and flywheel in my car, because I used a dc motor. Unlike ac motors, dc motors only operate up to roughly 5,000rpms so I need to be able to change gears to prevent overheating. If I used an ac motor I probably would have scrapped the clutch and welded the tranny into 3rd gear. But the simplest way of allowing me to change gears was to keep same clutch/flywheel assembly. Driving an electric car with a manual transmission and clutch is also a lot more fun, you can't stall and using the clutch pedal is optional. Usually I start in 3rd gear and don't have to change to 4th until around 40mph. The flywheel isn't actually bolted to the transmission - that would defeat the purpose of keeping the clutch. But there is no good way to bolt the flywheel to the new motor so the flywheel is actually attached to the spacer which is connected to the motor during installation. Getting the spacing right was a challenge but in the end it worked really well that way.

      I used the Utah-based Electric Car Parts Company (www.electriccarpartscompany.com) for the adapter. They did a good job and I would feel comfortable recommending them. I had to mail my flywheel to them and they sent me back the adapter and spacer. I had an issue with the ridges on the flywheel protruding into the adapter plate, and had to send them the flywheel again to take of the ridges, and they also indented the adapter plate so there was no question it would fit. In the end I'm happy I chose this route. What are you planning on doing for your drivetrain assembly?

      -Rob

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete