Gas Tank Removal

The gas tank was not easy to remove. It was placed so that it couldn't be simply taken out with out removing  the steering column (something I didn't feel comfortable doing). So I took the easy way out, or so I thought. With various saws and other cutting tools I chipped away at it piece by piece until it could slip out. Clearly the gas tank was specifically designed to not puncture so this was not as easy as I had anticipated. It took about four days to get it out.
Top of the gas tank.

Bottom of the gas tank, after I got through with it.
Notice the odd shape and how nicely the coolant lines fit into it. The tank was designed to maximize every tiny bit of space available to use. That's the beauty of German engineering!
Complete system
Tools I used to cut through the thick plastic.

This is the space that the gas tank used to fill up. I will be putting batteries here instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment